800-430-1407 Who Answers?
Call 800-430-1407 to speak with a drug abuse counselor.
Who Answers?

Insurance for Inpatient Drug Rehab

Is there insurance for inpatient drug rehab? Do state insurance programs provide coverage to support those who require treatment for drug addiction?

These are all valid questions that you may have when you decide to seek help for addiction. This guide addresses the issue of insurance coverage drug rehab & how to find help.

To talk with a counselor, call 800-430-1407Who Answers?.

Do Inpatient Drug Rehab Centers Take Insurance?

The answer to this question depends on various factors. Most inpatient drug rehab programs do accept insurance but not all programs do! Some private treatment options do not accept insurance and this is at their sole discretion—there are no laws in place that require a drug rehabilitation program to accept insurance.

However, many inpatient drug rehab centers do accept insurance to offset the costs of treatment. Those that will accept insurance have discretion as to what types of insurance they will accept and again there are no state laws or mandates regarding this practice.

Do States Require Insurance Coverage for Drug Rehab?

Insurance for Inpatient Drug Rehab

Many inpatient drug rehabs accept health insurance.

Effective January 1, 2010, Federal Parity Law went into effect for most plans. This law is based upon the Paul Wellstone and Pete Domenici Mental Health Parity and Addiction Equity Act of 2008 which was signed into effect by President Bush in 2008.

The Parity Act states that employer health plans for large companies with 50 employees or more that already cover mental illness and substance abuse rehabilitation must offer these benefits in a non restrictive way. It does not require group health plans to cover mental health or substance abuse treatment but when these plans do provide such coverage the law states that they must do so with “parity” in a way that is equal to the way that other benefits are offered.

Many states have passed similar parity laws that provide for the ease of access to treatment and coverage but not all states have followed suit with the federal government. Some employers have scapegoated out of the parity law by providing “self-insured” medical coverage which is funded by the company’s money and not the insurer’s money. These self-funded employers are not required to cover substance abuse at all and they do not have to comply with federal or state parity laws.

What to do If You Don’t Have Health Coverage for Drug Rehabilitation

If you are not insured or if your health insurance does not cover substance abuse treatment, there are other options that can assist you with getting the help that you need. People who do not have coverage and cannot afford to pay for treatment can contact their local health department for help or may be able to get help at a free inpatient drug rehabilitation program.

Many inpatient rehab centers will even work with you to negotiate an affordable program of treatment if you talk with them directly about your needs.

Additionally, the Affordable Care Act that will take effect beginning in 2014 will make drug rehab coverage part of essential benefits. This will increase the benefits for those who have no-coverage for drug rehabilitation under their current health plan as well as for those who only have limited coverage at this time. The Affordable Care Act will effectively make treatment more readily available for all of those who need help.

Call 800-430-1407Who Answers? to talk to a counselor about your rehab options.

Where do calls go?

Calls to numbers on a specific treatment center listing will be routed to that treatment center. Calls to any general helpline will be answered or returned by one of the treatment providers listed, each of which is a paid advertiser.

By calling the helpline you agree to the terms of use. We do not receive any commission or fee that is dependent upon which treatment provider a caller chooses. There is no obligation to enter treatment.

I NEED TO TALK TO SOMEONE NOWFree and Confidential. Call800-430-1407Response time about 1 min | Response rate 100%
Who Answers?